Registering Out-of-State Orders in North Carolina

If you have relocated to North Carolina from another state, your existing family orders covering child custody, child support and spousal support (alimony) can be registered in North Carolina. This enables you to have these orders enforced in North Carolina as of the date of registration.

Registering an Out-of-State Family Law Order

At Jetton & Meredith, we help new residents of North Carolina register their family law orders. In most cases, we can achieve the registration of orders for a reasonable flat fee, unless the other party subject to the order chooses to contest it.

You may trust your ex-spouse to honor the terms of the child custody, support or alimony order that was issued in another state, and that trust may be justified. But to protect yourself and ensure enforceability of the order in North Carolina, you should consider getting your family law orders registered in this state. An attorney at Jetton & Meredith can answer your questions and assist you in this regard.

Contesting the Registration of Out-of-State Orders

A party subject to a family law order covering child custody, child support or alimony can contest the registration of that order in North Carolina. To do so, you must file a request for a court hearing within 20 days after service of the notice of registration. If you fail to file this request, the family law order will be confirmed, and you will have no further right to contest the registration of the order.

The attorneys at Jetton & Meredith can advise you of your legal options, and if needed take action on your behalf.

Contact Our Firm

The Charlotte family law lawyers at Jetton & Meredith have the experience and knowledge needed to handle any matter involving child custody and visitation, child support, and alimony. Contact us to schedule a consultation.